The Health Advocate Application (App) allows you to identify a “Health Advocate” – someone who can access your VA health information and enter information on your behalf.
The Health Advocate App links you to your selected Health Advocate (in many cases a Caregiver) within the VA health care system, allowing him/her to use VA Mobile Apps on your behalf.
No. The Health Advocate App only establishes access to your records for VA Mobile Apps. It does not replace Release of Information or other documents and forms your treating facility may request that you sign before releasing your records.
Yes. The Health Advocate App lets you store and print the Health Advocate permission form (form granting the Caregiver access to your health information).
No. If you do not set up a Health Advocate in the Health Advocate App, you will be the only one who has access to your information within VA Mobile Apps.
Yes. You may change or remove your Health Advocate for VA Mobile Apps at any time.
Yes. To use the Health Advocate App, Veterans must have an eBenefits premium account (DS Logon).
eBenefits is a secure website used by Service members, Veterans, and their families that allows access to many Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Department of Defense (DoD) online benefits and resources.
In addition to giving you the ability to assign a Health Advocate, getting an eBenefits premium account (DS Logon) allows you to access your personal information held by VA and DOD and ensures the privacy and security of Veteran and Family Caregiver participant information.
Your iPad may not be set up to use your email account. Follow these instructions to allow your iPad to send email from this App:
- Open Settings.
- Choose Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Choose Add Account.
- Choose one of the listed common mail account types, or choose Other if your mail account type isn't listed. A form opens requesting account information.
- Fill in the form with your account information, including your account password.
- Click Next. The iPad verifies the account. If it is successful, the iPad displays settings for the account.
- Ensure Mail is set to On.
- Click Save. The iPad saves your account and returns to the Mail, Contacts, Calendars view. You can now return to the app and try submitting the form.